|HoverCam Solo 5x closed (l)|
and open (r)
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
HoverCam: An Ideal "Document Camera" For Higher Education
The HoverCam, based in San Diego, CA., makes document cameras, a product that's the modern equivalent of the obsolete overhead projector that used to be in every schoolroom and many conference rooms. Until now, almost 90% of the HoverCam's sales have been to the K-12 education market. That could change with the introduction of two new products, the desktop Solo 5x document camera and the ultraportable, pocket size HoverCam Mini 5.
The Solo 5x has unique features making it ideal for use on college campuses. Namely, its small footprint, high resolution, USB connectivity and multi-function capability including the ability to scan, video conference, record video and to present allow it to be used by college faculty numerous ways.
Here’s a list of the main features and uses on a college campus:
* Solo 5x has a small footprint -- it sits on an instructor’s desk in the office without taking up much desk space
* Scan documents and articles at the desk (without having to go to the photocopy machine down the hall)
* Use for instruction in class to show books, articles, iPad (tablet) screen – anything
* With its small footprint, the HoverCam Solo 5x doesn’t take up much space on a lectern. It can be folded flat and easily put away
* Record instructional videos to post to a website for flipped classroom learning
* Incorporates a high-resolution, 5 mega-pixel camera, ideal for remote learning and "virtual office hours." HoverCam works with Adobe Connect, GoToMeeting, Zoom, WebEx, Skype to show clear images during video and web conferences
* Take the HoverCam Mini 5 (the pocket-size version of HoverCam) to the library or on the road to scan multiple pages quickly and accurately. Ideal for scanning archive documents, rare books and other precious resources that may not be removed from the library.
* The HoverCam Solo 5x costs only $299 and the ultraportable HoverCam Mini $249, making either affordable for every instructor on campus to have their own HoverCam camera-scanner.
For additional information, please visit the HoverCam website at: http://www.thehovercam.com/products/solo5 and http://www.thehovercam.com/products/mini-5